Patient’s Guide to Colon Hydrotherapy Video
R & R Wellness Video
Andrea Stewart, from Get Serious Fitness, Lethbridge, conducted an interview with myself at the R & R Wellness office. We discussed the history of colonics, what a session is like and the benefits of the treatment. Watch our video here.
Healthy colon and good poop is a happy person.
Posted by Get Serious Fitness on Thursday, June 1, 2017
Why get Colon Hydrotherapy?
The colon is your body’s sewer system. If your sewer system is working properly then all the toxins and waste pass through it without a hitch.
But when your sewer becomes blocked or backed up that waste hardens to the colon wall. Sometimes the toxins trapped in this waste are reabsorbed into the bloodstream and can land in your cells.
Because of this build up on the colon walls, your digestive tract becomes slow and backed up. Your body is unable to effectively absorb the nutrients it needs and this can lead to deficiencies and disease.
It gets worse though, if certain foods are left behind in the colon they will ferment, rot and purify causing great discomfort and this also can lead to disease.
Who gets Colonics done?
- Athletes – people who want to optimize metabolic efficiency
- Folks undergoing medical procedures- pre/post surgery, barium x-ray, stool samples, geriatric applications
- Health Conscious Folks – people who are going through lifestyle changes or are using it as a feel-good preventative measures
- People with Disease – they need relief from symptoms of intestinal distress (bloating, indigestion, constipation, diarrhea, gas, IBS, diverticulitis, colitis, parasites, skin conditions, weight issues)
- People in PAIN – they hurt and looking for natural solutions for chronic pain relief from headaches, abdominal pain, aching joints
- People with immune issues – arthritis, cancer, chronci fatigue, Epstien-Barre, candida, infections
- People undergoing cleanses – raw food diets, liver/gall bladder flush
What is Colonics AKA Hydro Colon Therapy AKA Colonic Irrigation?
Colon Hydro Therapy introduces filtered and temperature regulated water into the colon, the waste is softened and loosened, resulting in evacuation through natural peristalsis.
It naturally removes waste without the use of drugs.
What are the health benefits for me?
- Releases Toxins (So your body can focus on healing)
- Increases digestive system effectiveness (Get regular & feel good)
- Reduced Flatulence (You no longer are sitting uncomfortable after a good meal)
- Reduces Fatigue (You feel energized and motivated)
- Decreases allergies (Stop sneezing, itching or feeling sick to your stomach)
- Increases absorption of nutrients (Get the full nutritional benefit from every vegetable, protein and carb you eat)
- Increases mental acuteness (Get rid of brain fog and kick butt at work, play and home)
- Eliminates Constipation & Diarrhea (So you aren’t spending any more time on the toilet than you need to)
Colon Hydrotherapy may be right for you if...
You suffer from the following:
- Acne/Skin conditions
- Parasitic Infection
- Atonic Colon (loss of muscle tone)
- Abdominal Distention/Bloating/Flatulence
Or you are interested in:
- Prevention and regular cleansing
Or you are preparing for a:
- Barium enema
Does this sound like you? Then Book an Appointment today.
How long does a session take?
A colonics session takes 60 minutes.
How many sessions will I need?
Your situation is unique. R&R tailors treatment plans specifically to each individual client’s needs, health objectives and wellness goals.
More severe cases may require several treatments a few days in a row and follow up sessions to retrain the bowl. Others seeking more preventative or wellness goals will not need as intense therapy, but still benefit from monthly cleanses to keep their toxic load to a minimum.
In many cases we recommend 6 introductory sessions for detoxification, followed by maintenance sessions.
What should I expect from a session?
Your experienced colon hydrotherapist will discuss any symptoms you may have and review your history to ensure that it is the right fit for your needs.
Your practitioner will then explain how colon hydrotherapy works and explain in detail what happens during a session.
Please feel free to ask as many questions as you need to feel safe and comfortable. The better the communication, the better we can create a plan that suits your needs.
During the session, you will be lying face up on a massage table. Most of your clothing can be kept on an a gown will be available to maintain modesty. Your dignity is always maintained. You will then be assisted with the self-insertion of a small, plastic speculum.
All materials are disposable and for one time use only. Clear tubing attaches the speculum to the hydrotherapy device. A gentle instillation of warm, clean, triple purified water circulates in the rectum. When the temperature is just right and you are ready to proceed, slow “fills” are given. Time to “soak” is allowed in between the fills.
This assists in re-hydrating and re-toning your colon. When you are ready to proceed, another “fill” will take place. This pattern will continue until you are ready to “release”.
At this time, the instillation of water stops and the flow of accumulated waste begins. The waste is excreted via the attached plastic tubing and passes through the device on the wall and directly into the plumbing system.
This is a self-contained system. There is NO ODOR, NO MESS and NO EMBARRASMENT.
This process of “fill” and “release” is continued throughout the remainder of the session.
Do NOT get Colon Hydrotherapy if..
You have the following:
- Cancer of the colon or GI tract
- Acute Abdominal Pain
- Recent History of GI bleeding
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Uncontrolled Hypertension
- History of Seizures
- Abdominal Surgery
- Recent Heart Attack
- General debillitation
- Recent Colon or rectal surgery
- Vascular Aneurysm
- Renal insufficiency
- Epilepsy or psychoses
- Carcinoma of the rectum
- Severe Hemorrhoids
- Intestinal Perforation
- Fissures or fistula
- Abdominal hernia
- Currently pregnant
But please reach out. Let us help you find a natural solution.
R&R Wellness Solutions or our community of holistic practitioners may be able to help.
Check out our information on Reflexology. Or ask about a referral for nutritional advice.
Post Colon Hydrotherapy session, R&R has a suggested aftercare for clients to continue at home.
These recommendations are for supporting the body nutritionally, to help normalize itself and can be completed regardless of any disease present. A body that is nourished is able to handle stress better.
The focus of all of these aids are to maintain a better nutritional balance. Adherence to any recommendations is a 100% personal decision.
We also have a downloadable summary of Colonics Recommendations.
Dietary & Hydration Guidelines
Before your first Colon Hydrotherapy Session
Eat light– soup or salad, nothing too heavy and try not to eat for 2 hours prior to your session. If at all possible, cut out the foods that bog our systems down for example, Gluten, Dairy, Sugar, Alcohol. Focus on whole, organic foods. Avoid as much animal and animal protein as possible, if you cannot please make it organic. Increase salads and steamed vegetables with simple light dressings
Lemon water – On rising, drink 1 large glass warm water with ½ lemon or whole fresh lime.
Avoid Water– for 2 hours prior so that your bladder isn’t full.
Rest and Relax– try to reduce stress as much as possible. Stress plays a huge role in interfering with the body’s ability to digest and eliminate food properly. You will have a much more effective experience if you take deep abdominal breaths and relax the body and mind as much as possible. Try and time your colonics out for a period of time where you have some flexibility with your work and home life schedule. Carve out some time for naps, walks, baths, and reflection. Slowing your life down will give you the best results with your colonics.
Days in between sessions
- Eat a whole food diet and drink ½ your body weight in ounces of water daily. For example, a 150lbs woman should be consuming 75 ounces (or 2.2 liters) of water per day.
- Do abdominal massage- this will be taught to you in your first session. You can use this at home while lying in bed prior to falling asleep or prior to getting out of bed in the morning, also while sitting on the toilet if you are having problems eliminating.
- Do light exercise only.
- Try dry brushing, infrared saunas, massage, Castor Oil packs, Epson salt baths or juicing. All are excellent ways of detoxifying the body.
After Colon Hydrotherapy Appointment Series Completed
- Continuing with eating a whole food diet that is high in fiber and drinking lots of water. Hopefully, this will kick start lifestyle changes now that your colon is clean and healthy.
- Take probiotics. It is very important to replenish the colon with healthy bacteria during and after your series of colon hydrotherapy is done.
- Don’t forget about maintenance. It is important to continue to keep the colon clean. It is far easier and more efficient to keep a maintenance plan for your colonics then to go away and not come back for a year. Remember that “Death begins in your colon.” Dr. Norman Walker
- Most clients like to come at the change of the seasons, as these are our natural detoxification times.
Other Self-Care Recommendations
Other Self Care Recommendations:
Aids to Cleansing – Overview of recommended supplemental care practices
Castor Oil Pack – Do one to three nights before a colonic to increase circulation to the lower abdominal area and soften harden material in the colon.
Cleansing Oil Baths – Complete the night before and/or after a colonic session to help remove environmental toxins giving your immune system a boost and increase overall body function.
Dry Skin Brushing – Dry brush for a quick 2-3 minutes every morning or evening which will stimulate the lymphatic system to carry toxins to the colon so they can be flushed out.
Salt Glow – Eases constipation, swelling, skin conditions, poor circulation, fatigue, stiffness and headaches. Oil a salad bowl like container and fill half way with Epsom salts. Moisten slightly with water until the texture of wet sand. Stand or sit in the bathtub. Rub salt vigorously in circular motions towards the heart. After doing the whole body, repeat, rubbing the salt from the first application. Shower with warm water and rinse with cool.
Practice Deep Relaxation or Meditation Practice Gratitude
Preparing for A Colonoscopy?
Preparing for a colonoscopy can be a dastardly business.
It can be a time intensive process which includes fasting and liquid laxatives. The preparation is an uncomfortable process and can have health risks associated with it including problems with kidneys and electrolyte abnormalities.
Colon Hydrotherapy can be used before the colonoscopy as a healthy and comfortable alternative for patients, particularly the elderly.
Check out this video on preparing for a colonoscopy and see for yourself.