Why Get Reflexology?
Reflexology not only relaxes your body, it has been proven to reduce pain and psychological symptoms, such as anxiety and depression, and enhances sleep.
It gently realigns your body, reminding it to release toxins and get rid of congestion which can help you manage your stress levels and sleep soundly.
Although reflexology is not used to diagnose or cure health disorders, it can be used to complement other treatments for conditions such as cancer, skin conditions, cardio-vascular issues, asthma, diabetes, headaches, kidney function and PMS and sinusitis.
What is Reflexology?
Reflexology is a natural healing therapy based on the principle that there are reflex areas and points in the feet, hands and ears which correspond to every part and function of the body.
The session includes applying pressure to the feet using varying techniques with the fingers, thumbs and hands which influences the state of the body.
This activates the parasympathetic nervous system which aids the body’s natural healing process.
What are the health benefits for me?
- Relieves Tension (You can feel the hidden tension inside of your whole body relax)
- Reduces Inflammation (Reduces swelling and you can walk and move easier)
- Improves Circulation (Healthy circulation means healthy cells and a healthy body)
- Reduce Congestion (Leaving you feeling lighter)
- Promotes Relaxation (You can feel settled and centered in your body)
- Promotes flow of nerve impulses (With proper energy and blood flow, you heal faster and react quicker)
- Encourages release of toxins (So you feel healthier)
- Improves Sleep (Approach each day feeling rested and relaxed)
- Pain Relief (So you can go about your day pain-free)
- More mobility in joints (Freedom of movement)
How does it work?
Reflexology gently nudges the body towards improved functioning of the system by:
- improving lymphatic drainage
- triggering venous circulation
- Stimulates the nerve pathways
- Relaxes muscles
Reflexology has the capacity to cancel out the effects of stress and help the body reach a place of deep relaxation. From that point the body can balance out its systems. The focus is on the cause of disease, not the symptoms.
The application of pressure sends calming messages to the peripheral nerves in the hands and feet to the central nervous system which signals to the body to adjust the tension level. As overall relaxation is enhanced it brings the internal organs and systems into a state of optimum functioning. This increases blood supply which brings additional oxygen and nutrients and enhances the ability of the body to remove waste.
What is Zone Theory?
How long does a session take?
Reflexology sessions are 60 minutes.
How many sessions will I need?
Each client is different and R&R tailors treatment plans to individual needs as determined by the client’s health and reasons for seeking reflexology.
In general, results from reflexology are often subtle and are cumulative. Thus, you are more likely to see greater benefits from regular sessions.
Many clients dealing with a specific illness or condition, experience the most improvement when starting with an initial program of six treatments over six weeks, followed by a “tune-up” every two to four weeks.
What can I expect from a session?
A reflexology session begins with our experienced practitioner conducting a brief health history to ensure that it is the right fit for your needs.
Our practitioner will then explain how reflexology works and what happens during a session.
You are then ask to remove your shoes and socks and sit comfortably in a reclining chair or massage table. Otherwise you remain fully clothed.
The reflexologist will assess he feet and then stimulate various points to identify areas of tenderness and tension.
The feet are warmed and pressure is applied from the toes to the heel according to your comfort.
Please feel free to ask as many questions as you need to feel safe and comfortable. The better the communication, the better we can create a plan that suits your needs.
What will it feel like?
Many people experience a lightness or tingling in the body. There may be feelings of warmth, opening or awareness of connection between the reflex points and specific body area or organ.
Physical affects may also include:
- Perspiration of hands or feet
- Sensation of being cold or chilled
- Feeling light-headed
- Desire to sleep
- Disappearance of all pain and discomfort
- Loose, relaxed muscles
- Feeling like all organs are hanging freely, not stressed and connected
Is there anyone who should NOT get Reflexology?
Reflexology is a VERY safe healing practice. It has provided healing and wellness for people suffering from all kinds of diseases. That being said there are sometimes when an altered treatment plan may be necessary:
- If you have foot fractures, unhealed wounds, certain vascular diseases or active gout in the foot the practitioner can alter treatment to focus on the hands and ears.
- Clients who report current thrombosis or embolism should not receive reflexology therapy. Reflexology improves circulation and could potentially cause a clot to move towards towards the heart or brain.
- Pregnant clients may need alternative methods.